This is one of the first cakes I decided to try tackle on my own, and I’m glad I did! This cake is so delicious and moist, and oh, my, the rum! The rum really makes a difference to the take by giving it a really great flavour. I’m not the only one who thinks that way because everyone who tried it loves it. This cake has been my go-to dessert for parties and gatherings, and it has not let me down yet. I’ve only made this in a 13 x 9 x 2 pan, though. I’ve yet to try it in a bundt pan . . . but the pan I use works! Do give this cake a try, and let me know if you like it.
This cake is great for gatherings!
- 1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) butterscotch flavoured morsels, divided
- 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix/li>
- 4 large eggs/li>
- 3/4 cup sour cream/li>
- 1/2 cup milk and 1-2 tablespoon milk for the glaze/li>
- 1/2 cup dark rum/li>
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened/li>
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans/li>
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Microwave 1 1/3 cups morsels in an uncovered microwave-safe bowl on medium-high power for 1 minute. Stir. The morsels may retain some of their original shapes. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk, rum extract, butter and melted morsels in large mixer bowl. Stir in 1 cup nuts. Pour into greased up pan.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- For the glaze, microwave the remaining morsels and milk on medium-high. The morsels may retain some of their original shapes. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring until melted. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour glaze over cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Adapted from Nestle.